Deeper Learning in Christian Schools
Fifth Annual Institute for Christian Educators
Summer Workshop, June 23 – 28, 2019
Finding our role in the adventure of God’s story: deeper in and further out
Is This Workshop For You?
Do you want to renew your excitement and deepen your thinking about what Christian education looks like not only in chapel and Bible class, but in curriculum, instructional practices and assessment in all subjects?
Are you a teacher, instructional leader, or someone who is interested in innovation, creativity, and Biblically inspired teaching practices?
Do you desire to go beyond textbooks and commercial curriculum to encounter a living God and the world He made?
Are you looking to provide something more than quizzes and tests to assess academic and spiritual growth?
Then you should attend this workshop!
Participants Will Learn:
- Spiritual formation – How to define your Christian values and move them from the posters on the walls into the minds, hearts, and behaviors of your students.
- Curriculum design – How to design curriculum that provokes complex thinking, inspires beautiful work and inspires students to pursue the character of Christ.
- Instructional practice – How to plan lessons that engage students as active participants, making creative connections, constructing meaning together in accord with God’s word.
- Assessment – How to use assessment to help students learn, grow and take responsibility for their own progress. They work as if for God, and not for grades.
660 Great Pond Rd.
North Andover, MA 01845
Friday 8:30AM to 12:00 PM
Optional evening events will include various artistic activities, storytelling, and celebration.
Commuters: $750- ($650 before March 23***) includes tuition, light breakfast and lunch (breakfast and dinner can be purchased separately)
Single room: $1250 -($1065 before March 23***) includes *tuition and all **meals (limited availability)
Double/multi (up to 4 per room): $1100 – ($935 before March 23**) includes *tuition and all **meals
* lodging from Sunday night through Thursday night
** meals from Sunday dinner through Friday lunch
*** The reason for the discount is that we have to reserve the number of rooms we want to occupy and pay a non-refundable deposit to Rolling Ridge by March 23rd. Please register by then if you can.
NEW THIS YEAR: Follow up workshop at your school for schools that register three or more participants by April 1st. (School pays travel expenses)
Steven Levy has spent 27 years in the classroom and 20 consulting for Expeditionary Learning. He is now a Senior Fellow at the Center for the Advancement of Christian Education (CACE), offering independent consulting to Christian schools. He has been honored with numerous awards, including the Massachusetts Teacher of the Year and Disney National Elementary Teacher of the Year. Steven has written various articles for educational journals, and his book, Starting From Scratch, tells stories of his classroom adventures.
Joanna Levy is principal of New Covenant School and has taught there for over 25 years. She was named volunteer of the year for her 3rd and 4th grade project “Writing the Lives of the Elderly.” She is passionate about encouraging teachers in their creativity, spiritual growth, and joy in the art of teaching.